Knowing what to submit to a personal injury attorney if you are involved in an auto accident can help to shorten the amount of time it takes to be reimbursed for bodily injuries.
You can also reduce the time it takes to be compensated for your pain and suffering if you contact your car insurance company as soon as possible following the car accident.
A Checklist of Car Accident Details
Several of the details that you will provide your personal injury attorney can be obtained directly from the accident scene. These details are:
- Your name, driver’s license number, and car insurance policy number.
- Date and time that the auto accident occurred.
- Location of the auto accident.
- Weather conditions at the time of the collision.
- Names, driver’s license numbers, and car insurance company names of other drivers and passengers involved in the auto accident.
- Copy of the police report and any other accident reports filed.
- Copies of traffic tickets written at the accident scene.
- Whether or not a driver was charged with driving under the influence (DUI).
A Checklist of Personal Injury Details
Additional information that you will provide to your personal injury attorney must be obtained after the accident. For example, you will want to visit your personal physician in order to be thoroughly examined.
Let your physician know that you were involved in a car accident. Ask your physician to take images (e.g. MRI, X-rays) of injured areas. Make sure that you get images of areas that were injured or damaged prior to the accident. This way you and your attorney can assess whether additional damages were made to the area due to the accident.
Documents and information that you will provide to your attorney after you are examined by your physician include:
- Physician’s report.
- Medical bills.
- Expenses for ongoing treatments or therapies.
- Number of days and wages lost from work due to the accident.
- Copies of correspondence between you and your insurance company that is related to the accident.
Your personal injury attorney might travel with you to the scene of the accident and take pictures. They might also interview other parties who were involved in the collision to get statements from them. Maintain contact with both your insurance company and your personal injury attorney throughout the settlement proceedings.